The Advanced Mode lets you create set products and shelves so you have your entire product management in one single place, making your sales even faster.
In this article:
- Advanced Mode
- Product Management
Activate Advanced Mode
The Advanced Mode lets you create a product library that contains all the different products you sell. You can activate and deactivate Advanced Mode in your SumUp App. When switched on, the Advanced Mode lets you set up different shelves containing your products in all its varieties as well as different tax rates.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to switch on Advanced Mode:
- Open the SumUp App on your device and log in with your account details.
- Click on the “Account” tab (iOS) or the menu symbol (Android) in the top left corner.
- Switch on the “Advanced mode” toggle.
- All done! You’re now ready to set up your Product Management.
Take payments with the Advanced Mode
After you created your product shelves along with some products you can start using them in your daily sales to make your business even more efficient.
We’ll walk you through the process of taking payments with Advanced Mode switched on:
- Log in to your SumUp App using your account details.
- If Advanced Mode is switched on, the app automatically opens your first shelf. Choose a product you want to sell. If the product you want to sell is in another shelf you can easily move through your shelves by swiping either left or right.
- Click on the product. If you saved more than one version, you can now choose which version of your product you want to sell.
- The product is now saved in your cart which you can find in the top right corner (iOS) or at the bottom (Android). If you want to add more products to your sale, repeat step 3. If you’re ready to check out, click on your cart in the top right corner.
- A page opens with a summary of your sale. You forgot to add a product? No problem, just tap “Back” and you will return to your shelf. If you tap “Clear”(iOS) or the bin symbol (Android) in the top right corner, everything will be cleared from your cart and you can start again with a completely new sale.
Everything is looking good? Tap the “Charge” button down below and you’ll now be able to choose a Payment Method.
- Your customer can pay via card or via cash, if you enabled cash payments. If you want more information on how to enable and how to take cash payments, click here.
- If you chose “Card Reader” simply tap, swipe or insert a card and let your customer authorise the payment. You can even send them a receipt. For an in-depth guide on how to take card payments, click here.
- Congrats! You just made your first sale using the Advanced Mode.
Through our Advanced Mode you can set up and manage your products. To do so, simply open the the account area in your app (iOS: “Account” tab, Android: menu symbol in the top left corner). Ensure that “Advanced mode” is switched on and tap “Product management”.
Setting up your Product Management might seem complicated at first but we’re going to walk you through it step-by-step. Don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
- If you tap on “Product management” your shelf automatically opens and you now have the option to create a new product. Tap “New product”.
- A window opens, asking you for further product details. To enter a product name tap “Product name” and type in whatever name you wish for your product have.
- Next you can either enter only one price into the corresponding field or you can can enter additional version names such as small, medium or large, alongside a price for each version.
- You can also select a tax rate for the product. If you want to edit the tax rates, have a look at this guide.
- If you’re an iOS user, the default product icon is the first letter of the product name. If you want to change the icon, simply tap on the icon itself and you will now have the option to choose a different colour for the capitalised first letter. Select a colour and tap “Done” to save your changes.
You can also replace the icon with a picture that is already stored in your device’s library or take a picture of your product using your device’s camera. Click on “Photo” and you can now either take a photo or choose on. Tap “Done” to save your changes.
If you’re using an Android smartphone/tablet and you want to change the icon please tap on the product and you will find a big camera symbol in the top right corner. By tapping on the camera symbol, you get the option to change the colour of the capitalised first letter or either take a picture with your device’s camera or upload a picture from your device’s library.
- If you’re happy with all your product details you can now click “Save”.
- Great! You can now go back to your home screen and your product will be ready for action.
If you want to move a product from one shelf to another, simply enter the “Product management” option in your menu. You can either look for your product in its respective shelf or swipe to the far left where you find a list of all your products organised in alphabetical order. You can also search for a specific product in this list.
If you want to move a product and you’re an iOS user click on the product and the product details will pop open. Above the tax rate buttons you will find a “Select shelf” field. Tap the button and select the shelf you want to move the product to.
If you’re an Android user, lightly press the product icon for a bit and you will get a notification labelled “Move product to…”. You can now select the shelf you want to move the product to.
All set! You can now find the product in its newly assigned shelf.
If you want to remove a product, simply enter the “Product management” option in your menu again. Click on the product you want to delete and your product details page will open.
If you’re using an iOS device, a button reading “Delete product” highlighted in red will appear at the base of the page. If you’re using an Android device, tap “Delete” in the top right corner of the page.
While you have a default “My shelf”, you can set up multiple shelves (e.g. drinks shelf, cake shelf, sandwich shelf, etc.) and move products from one shelf to another.
While selling you can quickly switch between shelves with a swiping motion.
Create Product Shelf
To create a new shelf enter the “Product management” option in your menu. If you’re an iOS user, tap the “Edit shelves” button underneath “My shelf”. A drop-down menu will appear that allows you to create a new shelf by entering the new shelf name in the “Enter shelf name” field. For example, you could add a shelf called “Food” so you can store all your different food products in one place. Save the new shelf by tapping “Done”.
If you’re an Android user, tap the 3 dots in the top right corner and a menu with the option “New shelf” will appear. Now you only need to enter a name for your shelf and press “OK” and you’re all set!
Rename or delete Product Shelf
Enter the 'Product Management' area of the app and select the 'Edit Shelves' button found at the top of the screen.
If you’re using an iOS device, a drop-down menu will appear. Now tap “Edit” in the top left corner. You can delete a shelf by clicking on the red button next to the shelf name and you can rename a shelf by clicking on the shelf name itself.
If you’re using an Android device, go to the shelf you want to edit by swiping through your shelf selection. If you click on the bin icon in the top right corner, you have the option to delete the selected shelf. If you click on the paintbrush icon in the top right corner, you have the option to rename the selected shelf.
The “Taxes” area, which you can find underneath “Product Management”, lets you manage all your VAT rates. When you open “Taxes” for the first time, the default VAT rate for your country will be displayed. Please note that this list may not be exhaustive and you must ensure you charge the appropriate value added tax rate for the product class you are selling.
You can easily add or edit VAT rates. If you’re an iOS user tap “Edit” in the top right corner and you can now add or edit existing VAT rates. Just enter a new VAT rate and click “OK” afterwards to confirm. If you want to edit a VAT rate, just tap on the field you want to edit. If you want to delete a VAT rate, just click on the red icon on the left.
If you’re an Android user tap on the field you want to edit and you get the option to either amend information or delete it by clicking the “X” symbol situated next to the VAT rate name. If you want to save your changes, click either “Done” or the save icon in the top right corner.
You can choose whether or not the VAT rate is included in the price. If you decide, that the VAT rate shouldn’t be included in the unit prices, the VAT amount will be added to the total amount after the items are added to your cart (similar to the way retail products are sold in the US).
If you’re an iOS user just change the toggle switch on the bottom to either include or exclude sales tax (VAT) and if you’re an Android user tick or untick the “Including sales tax” field.
If you’re not VAT registered, or wish to remove the default tax rate, simply edit the VAT rate information so it reads 0%.