In this article:
Using the feature SMS Payments you can accept credit & debit card payments (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diners, JCB) without the SumUp Card Reader.
The fee is 2.95% + €0.25/£0.25 per "SMS Payments" transaction.
How it works
Your customer needs a smartphone with internet connection.
- Log in to the SumUp App with your email address and password.
- Enter the amount you wish to charge and tap 'Charge'.
- Choose SMS Payments as your payment method.
- Then enter the customer's mobile phone number and tap 'Send'.
- Your customer immediately receives a text message from SumUp that contains a link. Important: This link is valid for 30 minutes.
- As soon as the customer opens on the link, they will be guided to a secure webpage, where they can enter their card details. The customer then taps 'Pay £xx now' / 'Pay €xx now' to confirm the payment. They will then see a payment confirmation screen.
- You can also use the Check status feature in the SumUp App. When the transaction was successful, you will see a green tick mark. You can also send a receipt via text or email to your customer.
How to activate the feature
To start using the feature, please activate it in your payment methods. Simply open the 'Account' section (iOS: 'Account' in the top left corner, Android: menu symbol in the top left corner), tap on 'Payment Methods' and toggle the switch to activate SMS Payments.
Here's a short video showing you our SMS Payments feature: