Not sure which card reader you need? We’ve got you covered. Here is a guide to our card readers.
Air Card Reader
The SumUp Air Card Reader is the perfect partner for your business, it works with the SumUp App on your smartphone or tablet. Here are some facts:
- Connects via Bluetooth.
- Accepts chip and contactless payments (NFC), as well as Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Transactions are authorised by the customer via PIN on the card reader itself or via signature in our SumUp App
- Charges via Micro-USB cable connected to your computer, another power source or the SumUp Cradle
- Battery lasts up to 500 transactions.
- Accepted Cards: Visa, VPay, Mastercard, Maestro, American Express, Diners Club, Discover, Union Pay
3G Card Reader
The SumUp 3G Card Reader is SumUp’s latest innovation, it’s a standalone device that works without an extra smartphone or tablet. Here are some facts:
- Connects to 3G Network via built-in data SIM card (no extra cost)
- Accepts chip, contactless (NFC) and magstripe payments, as well as Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Transactions are authorised by the customer via PIN or via signature on the card reader itself
- Charges via USB-C cable when connected to your computer or another power source
- Battery lasts up to 50 transactions
- Accepted Cards: Visa, VPay, Mastercard, Maestro and American Express
General usage of SumUp Card Readers
- We can only guarantee the full functionality of your card reader between temperatures of -10°C to +45°C. Because of that, we recommend to not leave the card reader in your car during summer as well as during winter for a long period of time.
- Even if you don’t use the card reader we recommend you charge it once a month.
- The card reader is designed with security sensors to protect it from manipulation and tampering. For this reason, you should always handle your card reader with great care. Be sure to avoid using the device with force or impact (including dropping it on the ground or knocking it across the table) to prevent an automatic security lock being enabled. Once this is triggered, the card reader is permanently locked and cannot be used.
- Please always ensure you are not using the card reader on metal or magnetic surfaces. The device has a security feature that prevents any unauthorised reading of magnetic card strips on credit and debit cards. When the card reader is placed on or near a metal surface, this can cause the payment to be automatically declined.